The Dog Liberator™

The Dog Liberator rescues abandoned dogs throughout the Southeast. Based in Central Florida, this non-profit organization fosters all of their dogs in a home environment. Founded in 2009, all dogs are fully vetted, spayed or neutered prior to adoption. The Dog Liberator focuses in rescuing the herding breed, which consists of Border Collies, Shepherds, Sheepdogs, Aussies, Collies, and Deaf/Blind Dogs.

Augustus #806, The Last One Out – Adopted

On September 14, 2009, I received an email from a pound in North Georgia. Included in the email was a photo of a red and white border collie puppy. The photo of the pup was horrible, (shown) and I wasn’t quite sure if he was a Border Collie so I forwarded it to Suzanne. That evening, she confirmed that he was a Border Collie and she strongly suggested I pull him from the pound. It seemed to take forever. After sending several emails asking for instructions, the instructions weren’t clear.

Later, I spoke with Susan Thompson and followed her instructions by contacting their local vet, making an appointment for the pup, and getting a quote. I then contacted a boarding facility but unfortunately they were full and not able to help. But, they did contact a volunteer transporter, Donna Meeks, and I would need her help to get the pup one step closer to me.

Once I thought I had all of my ducks in a row, a vet that would take a credit card and board the dog while he waits for transport, and a transporter, I called the pound. The animal control officer confirmed that #806 was indeed a stray, and that no one had claimed him… he was truly still available for adoption. The animal control officer was very professional, and I informed him that I would finalize the arrangements.

I contacted the vet once again, and with my credit card, secured the vetting for #806, which is required by law.

#806 however, would not make it onto Becky’s transport to Florida, which was scheduled for upcoming Saturday. There was simply not enough time to get him on. Becky, on the other hand just so happened to be transporting some dogs on another run from Birgminham to Augusta. It was her brilliant idea to have him driven to Augusta, and then back to Birmingham to wait for the next transport. Her offer to board him with a foster until she was ready, was a deal I couldn’t refuse.

Just when everything was scheduled and we had a perfect plan, Susan Thompson, a volunteer for the shelter contacted me with bad news. It appears that the shelter had experienced a parvo outbreak. Now what?

I contacted Becky to inform her that #806 was a risk to other animals, and asked for her guidance. #806 would be in a car alone from Augusta to Birgminham, and Becky would be sure that he would be isolated until we could confirm or rule out that the pup had the virus. Her exact words were, he’s going to die if he stays there, and he might die with us, so we might as well try – we have nothing to lose.

We were still on!

I contacted the animal control officer informing him that it was a go. This time, the officer’s voice spoke with anxiety and firmness as he warned me that he could not guarantee that #806 did not have parvo. I assured him that we were aware. I asked him when could he take the pup to the vet. With urgency in his voice, he told me that the pup was being loaded in a car as we spoke, and that he was locking the doors to the shelter, closing it down for a period of time, while they euthanized all of the dogs, and disinfected the entire building.

#806 was the last one out.

Having #806 neutered with the possibility that he might have Parvo did not make be happy, but I had no choice. I had to follow protocol, which is mandatory rabbies and spay/neuter. #806 did not show any signs of Parvo, but he was loaded with every worm known, and was treated.

Two days later, Donna Meeks picked him up, and drove him to Augusta. #806 arrived shortly thereafter in Birmingham and was quarantined until the next transport, which was September 26. While #806 was described by Judy, his foster as:
“he loves water, loves people, kids, licks cats, and wants to play all the time. Wonderful dog.”

Augustus #806 is with me now, still being observed for any signs of the virus. Within the next few days, he will have gone through the 14 day waiting period, and will be tested. There’s no doubt in my mind, he’ll be just fine.

Augustus #806 is truly my first rescue. All of the dogs that I have helped transport, foster, rehabilitate, resocialize and re-home were brought to me by others who “rescued”. I know he will have a wonderful life.

Details about his adoption by the Bryant family are located in the comments.



3 thoughts on “Augustus #806, The Last One Out – Adopted

  1. Kevin writes:
    "Dear Ms. Gisele –

    Good morning! It is Charlie (formerly known as Augustus). I just wanted to write to you to tell you how thankful I am that you saved my life. Thank you for rescuing me from the pound, for making sure I was given all the right medications to help me get better and for neutering me (everyone should be this responsible). Thank you for helping me get to Florida and for finding me a family to live with. My people are very nice and I think I have them pretty well trained so far. I was a very tired pup when I came to stay with them, but my activity level is increasing every day. They took me to their nice lady vet and she said I was a definite "keeper". I am teaching my family that I can respond to some simple commands. I am learning what is good to chew on – and what is not! I am also learning that soft carpet is not the same things as grass and I really should wait till I get outside to relieve myself! They have bought me some really fun toys. I love playing frisbee, ball, and they always say I am so cute when I take myself for a walk by holding my leash in my mouth. Yesterday, the two crazy teenage girls played with me so much, they practically had to carry me inside the house! Thank you again for finding me a family – I now have 7 people wrapped around my little paws!! I am sending you some pictures and a video and a big pooch smootch from me to you!"

    Your furry friend,

  2. Erica Brilliant October 7 at 2:55pm

    As I read your e-mail this morning regarding Goldie I was brought to tears.

    Such a sad end to the fight for her life. I'm glad that you can now rest easier knowing that you really did absolutely everything you could have done for her and more. As the others have said, she was so lucky to have been able to experience love and companionship and sunshine and even just a little bit of playtime in her six weeks with you. I know this is devastating for you but you can't give up rescuing. Look at how many homeless and hopeless dogs you've found loving, forever homes? They are sleeping indoors, eating good food every day, and most importantly, getting the love and affection they so deserve. I can't imagine my day without a hug from Flash.

    All the neighbors he meets adore him, he's just so well behaved. And you gave him the opportunity to have a second chance at life.

    Think of Augustus, whose story is a testament to your dedication to these wonderful dogs. He's got a loving, forever home and was on the brink of euthanasia. All because of you. Your efforts are appreciated more than you realize- from the humane societies you save great dogs from to the families who are lucky enough to take them in. And certainly from the dogs themselves who, without you wouldn't be here.

    My heart breaks for you and Goldie but hopefully you can find some solace in the incredible rescue work you've done thus far and will continue to do.

    I'll be thinking of you.

  3. Hi Giselle –

    A million apologies for not getting back to you sooner. With 5 children and all the events happening the last few weeks, I have hardly had time to catch my breath!

    Charlie – how to describe him….. Family friends of our came by the other night to pick up their daughters from our house and they were quite amazed at how affectionate he his. She sent me an email about something the next day and she had this p.s. "P.S. I liked the silly, "over the top" affectionate dog. He sure is a cuddle bug."

    We thought we would never find a dog that would replace our Shadow, but Charlie may be another "best". Kevin decided that instead of crate training him, he would try lead training and by the 4th day we had him, Kevin had made 3 places in the house where we could tether him on a 6ft. lead – one in the kitchen, one in the living room that is close to the front door (handy when people come so he does not take out the front door) and one in our bedroom (where he goes when it is our "bedtime" on his rug near our bed). He does not seem to mind it at all and does not whimper or bark to be untethered. Since my husband works out of the house, Charlie sometimes hangs out in the office with Kevin if no one else is home. Someone still has to be on "puppy duty" when he is loose, as he still will find something that someone left out that looks too good not to chew. He is starting to ignore the cat. I guess he figured she really is no fun and just not worth getting up to chase. The first week we had him, Kevin had left for a meeting and I heard the cat door swinging and figured it was the cat going in or out. I called Charlie to make sure the cat would not be terrorized too much and when he did not answer, I went to look for him. When I did not find him right away, something told me I had better check in the garage and sure enough, that little sneak had gone right out the cat door to follow Kevin. I brought him back in and stood in the hallway to see what he would do and sure enough, he went right back out! Needless to say the very next weekend, Kevin rigged the cat door so that only 3/4ths of it will open and the other 1/4 is permanently shut. Now, he can only stick his head out to watch whoever has left. Kevin calls him "Marie Antionette". He looks sooooo silly. He is getting faster at chasing squirrels in the backyard, loves chasing the frisbee and wants to chew every stick he can find. The only habit he has that has developed in the last week or two is barking when he wants to play. The other day he was following our son who is 8 and nipping at his pants. Ian told him "no" and the jumped on the bed to get away from him. Charlie started barking and would not stop until I took him in the other room. This similar thing has happened with other family members, but mostly just the 2 little ones. He am sure he just wants to play, but the little ones are not sure how to handle him when he is like that. So, for the time being, we are staying close so that we can correct Charlie quickly if needed. Ian likes to play tug of war and catch the tennis ball. Aidan loves to sit with him and talk to him about all sorts of things. She lets him in and out the back door (it is all glass in the middle) in the early morning while we eat breakfast because every squirrel who ventures in the yard gets chased! The when he comes back to the door, she lets him in. Then he has to sit and shake to get a puppy biscuit. Oh, he has gained 7 1/2 pounds since he came and I am sure he is quite a few inches taller. He still has that nice slender figure and the soft puppy coat, now with some curls. It is really funny after a bath.

    Anyway, I hope the pictures come through. They might not be in focus but I do not always have access to my husband's really good camera.

    I'm sure the holidays are going to be very interesting. I am already thinking of ways to puppy proof the tree!

    Lynette and the clan and of course, Charlie!

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


Get every new post on this blog delivered to your Inbox.

Join other followers:

%d bloggers like this: